Visiting Faculty Members
MS. REEMA OMER
Ms. Reema Omer holds LLM in Public International Law from University of Cambridge, UK and LLB from Lahore University of Management Sciences (LUMS). In 2011, she joined the International Commission of Jurists (ICJ) as its South Asia Consultant. Since 2013, she has served as ICJ’s International Legal Adviser for Pakistan. Ms. Omer has authored several reports on various issues relating to human rights and rule of law both in Pakistan as well as internationally.
Prior to her professional career, Ms. Omer had won Gold Medal for her excellent performance in BA-LLB programme at Lahore University of Management Sciences from where she graduated on Dean’s List in 2009. The same year, she won Commonwealth Shared Scholarship for admission to LLM programme at University of Cambridge. Following LLM, in 2010, she was awarded Pegasus Commonwealth Award, University of Cambridge to work on human rights issues with internationally recognized lawyers.
Ms. Omer regularly writes for national and international publications on human rights, the rule of law, social justice, and constitutional issues of Pakistan including daily Dawn.
A collection of her OpEds is available at: https://www.dawn.com/authors/815/reema-omer
Her research publications include the following
- Transgender Persons (Protection of Rights) Act – A briefing paper (2020)
- A primer on international human rights law and standards on the right to freedom of thought, conscience, religion or belief (2019)
- Challenges to Freedom of Religion or Belief in Myanmar (2019)
- Challenges to Freedom of Religion or Belief in Nepal (2018) An analysis of the key challenges based on the freedom of religion or belief in Nepal and recommendations to the Government for improvement
- “No More Missing Persons”: The Criminalization of Enforced Disappearances in South Asia (2017) An assessment of the practice, legal framework and international commitments related to enforced disappearances in India, Pakistan, Nepal, Sri Lanka and Bangladesh
- Authority without Accountability: the struggle for justice in Pakistan (2013) A report on the Supreme Court’s human rights jurisprudence under CJ Iftikhar Chaudhry
These publications are available at www.icj.org